In the past few months I have been rather prolific at knitting and sewing. It seems that writing my post about planning for the upcoming seasons spurned me to cast on and cut out. A little motivation and a few crafty evenings with my ladies means that I’ve completed a few projects well in time for the cooler months.
Even though I update my Ravelry somewhat regularly, I thought it might be fun to do a monthly round-up of what I’ve been working on and/or completed. It will give me an opportunity to share what I’ve made as well as share where my patterns or inspiration have come from. Seeing as Ravelry is only for knitting, crochet etc I’ll be able to keep a good record of sewn projects here too.
So, here we are in March (my, that came around fast) and for now I’ll try to do a short but sweet look back at my creative year so far.
Both of these hats were made to celebrate the first birthdays of some of our little friends. The one on the left is an improvised pattern inspired by Kim Hamlin’s pattern published in Joelle Hoverson’s Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
On the right is yet another Stella Pixie Hat. There’s not much to say about it, apart that I really like the colours of this one. It’s knitted up in some BWM 12ply (Eucalypt and Charcoal) that I had on hand.
This gorgeous little hat (modelled by a none-too-happy Delphi) is another free pattern and is super fun to knit. The pattern is written in 8ply, however, it would be easy enough to play around with different yarn weights and get beautiful results. I can’t decide if my favourite thing about this bonnet is the seed stitch or the back decrease detail. Again, I used yarn from my stash, Naturally Heather in Mossy Green.
This cardigan (Baby Girl Fair Isle Cardigan from the Purl Bee) may be possibly be one of my favourite things I have ever knitted. A big call, right? What I love about it (apart from the aesthetic) is that it’s my first fair isle garment apart from hats and I adored knitting the chart. All that aside, I actually didn’t love the construction of the pattern, specifically the way the arms are joined, and have since cast on a different version which I am altering slightly. Lucky really seeing as the kidlet I knitted this for will be too big for it by winter so I’m knitting up a size and will squirrel this one away for next time the perfect recipient comes up.
Needless to say, I am fairly keen (no pun intended!) on sinking my teeth into a bigger fair isle project at some point in the future.
Next up on the completed list is a great little kimono pattern. I don’t know a parent who doesn’t love side opening jumpers. The less wrangling whilst dressing, the better. Beyond Puerperium is such a versatile pattern. It comes with instructions for 4, 8 and 10ply options and is sized newborn through two years.
I knitted this one up in 4ply BWM (again, from my stash) and chose to leave the arms short as sometimes I despise knitting little, tiny sleeves! Just as an aside, when I knit sleeves I either use a short, 20cm circular needle or the magic loop method.
On the sewing the front I’ve been a little slower. In the evenings, it’s hard to get motivated to do much more than sit on the couch and knit. It may just be me, but I find sewing is a method of making that requires so much more concentration than knitting.
I did whip up a skirt for each of the girls using a simple method where the circumference of the waist is the width of the fabric (i.e. selvedge to selvedge). The only measurement I make is to ensure the correct length (including seam allowance for hemming and turning the waistband) and join the edges for a back seam.
I’m not great at explaining what I mean, so here’s a good tutorial for anyone interested, although I should note that I use an overlocker to sew all my garments.
The left skirt (Anouk’s) is made from a Japanese Lawn I picked up at Spotlight not long ago. I’m so pleased they were stocking something so beautiful, hopefully they get some in every season. Due to Lawn’s light nature and the fact I want Anouk to wear her skirt throughout the cooler seasons, I added a second layer in a contrasting fabric (thanks for the idea Mum).
The right skirt (Delphi’s) was just a cotton remnant I picked up in Lincraft one day. It’s pretty satisfying to make an $8 skirt and have fabric leftover!
Ok, so that’s it for now. I do have a couple of other things I practically finished last month (apart from buttons needing to be sewn on) but this post is long so I’ll bump them to next month.